Thursday, May 22, 2008

Next Stop Wrigley Field

At 7:30am on Saturday May 17th I boarded a plane on the way to The Windy City, Chicago. I was very excited at the chance of spending some time in Chi town since I have never been and I was going on a bachelor party for one of my closest friends.
Plane landed around 9:30am and we headed directly to the hotel to drop our bags. For those of you who have been to Chicago and braved the train system, than you understand how slow and painful the trains are from the airport, I am not sure if there was construction or a track problem, but this was by far the slowest train I have ever been on.
With the bags dropped it was to our first order of business the 12:30 game at Wrigley Field for the Cubs/ Pirates game. A bunch of us have never been to a game at Wrigley so we thought we would do it right. We reserved our spots (months in advance) at Wrigley Rooftops http://www.wrigleyvillerooftops.com/,which are the buildings adjacent to Wrigley along Waverly Ave. The rooftop is definitely a great experience and I recommend everyone does this at one point. Anyway we grabbed our bleacher seats at the roof and proceeded to drink (all included in the package) and enjoy the sun, apparently for any of you who have never been to Wrigley, it is apparently on the sun at least the bleachers on the roof were, but a little sunburn never hurt anyone.
After the game the festivities continued with some good music and alcohol at The Cubby Bear www.cubbybear.com/wrigleyville/index.html, this was a great place, , very large and great music for a little afternoon drinking. I personally love to get out in the afternoon, it makes me feel like I am on vacation. After The Cubby Bear we hit a couple of local bars including a bar called Mother's II. Very chill bar, mellow crowd with and wait for it.... Nintendo wii Bowling on a 60 inch projection screen. Too me this was a perfect ending to a great day, video games and beers what could be better than that one?
As far as Chicago I can offer you this brief synopsis: Wrigley Field is a really cool place, any town you see fathers and sons, husbands and wives, and groups of friends all wearing their favorite teams apparel and heading to the park because its game day - it really is a great thing to see.
The city itself is like a mini NYC without all of the cars, not sure if it was the time of year, but at 11am in the middle of downtown Chicago there were very little cars on the road. On Sunday morning at 11am it felt as if the city had been evacuated, it was strange. I do suggest a trip to Chicago for anyone who had never been and for myself because I was only there for 24 hrs.

No comments: